By Yaj Buljeean (Harmless Trainer)
When it comes to mental health, we need to understand that much like our physical health, we all have mental health, whether it’s good, bad or anywhere in between. The difference is that when our mental health is poor we often still hear terms like: ‘Man Up!’, ‘Why is this affecting you so much?’ and ‘Just get over it, no one else is being affected by this’. Maybe we hear terms such as, ‘we’re all going through the same thing, you’ve just got to get on with it’.
Why do you think this is? Is it a misunderstanding? Perhaps phrases like these are meant with the best of intentions. But as many of us are aware, while these phrases might be well-meaning, ultimately they can do more harm than good for someone who is struggling. There is still a stigma attached to mental health as a whole and usually this is down to lack of knowledge and understanding.
One way we can look at challenging these attitudes is to firstly educate ourselves and become aware of our own attitudes and behaviours. That is why Harmless is offering FREE online Mental Health Awareness Training to staff and volunteers from a range of sectors within Derbyshire.
Here are some of the learning outcomes you can take away from this course:
- The continuum of mental health and dual axis model
- Signs and symptoms of mental health problems
- Prevalence of mental health problems
- Populations at higher risk
- Protective and risk factors
- Impact of mental health problems
- Stigma and discrimination
- Approaches to incorporate into own practice in order to support interaction
- Resources and services available both nationally and locally (Derbyshire)
Let’s make mental health care for all a reality! Register for your FREE place now on one of our upcoming ONLINE courses: